Positive Breastfeeding & Early Parenting Preparation Workshop
In many countries still today, women are honoured, nurtured and cared for by their mothers, sisters and friends as they heal after birth. The postnatal rest period is usually for a minimum of one month, often 6 weeks. These women want for nothing, they are pampered, fed and kept warm. Older siblings are cared for as the mother rests and feeds her newborn, mastering the art of breastfeeding. In many of these cultures the grandmother teaches the mother infant massage, massaging the newborn daily until 6 months of age. This time of rest is not seen as a privilege, but an important and vital time of healing for the Mother who has just given birth.
In Australia we aren't all so fortunate to have our extended families to care for us after we give birth. Therefore it's vitally important to get strategies in place before birth to support the healing your body needs to fully recover from birth.
Many women are starting on their breastfeeding journey's with the bare bones of preparation. They haven’t been taught the fundamentals of normal healthy breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is a natural experience that has to be learnt and then mastered.
About the Workshop
My workshop is designed to prepare couples for a more positive postnatal experience. With 25 years of experience I've learnt a lot from my own poor decisions and those of other women. I'm passionate about sharing my knowledge so you don't make those same mistakes and can make choices that will enhance your future.
The workshop will
- teach you strategies to put in place to make the transition into parenthood a smoother and more joyful experience.
- It will equip you with tools which will empower you on your path into parenthood.
The workshop runs for 4.5 hours, using a variety of teaching methods. Parents will learn valuable skills to support them during the first 3 months of their baby’s life and beyond.
- Develop a deeper understanding of how normal, healthy breastfeeding works using a variety of learning modalities, including plenty of hands on learning.
- Gain greater awareness of your breast anatomy, confidence with breastfeeding positions and how to achieve a good latch technique.
- Practical, visual understanding of what to expect in regards to baby's feeding needs and everything associated with this topic.
Preparing for baby’s arrival
- What’s to be expected in the first 3 months in regards to baby’s crying, sleep and sensory needs.
- Techniques that may help your baby sleep better and cry less by following their instinctual cues and sensory needs.
- How to bath and wrap your baby.
- Getting familiar with normal physical ailments and discomforts of the new born.
Care of the new Mum
- Learn what partners and friends can do to help.
- How to set up support systems before your baby is born.
- What’s normal in regards to the emotional and physical experience of the postnatal mum.
- How Dad can help and what Mum needs to recover fully.
- Discussion about practical healing remedies.
- How to do your own perineal sitz bath at home.
- I have a fantastic DVD for the Dads. Dads are always grateful to learn how they can be supportive and more involved in their new baby’s lives.
- Demonstration - making your own cost effective water wipes.
What I provide
- Snacks, refreshments and a comfortable, friendly learning environment.
- Gift bags, including supportive organic herbs for your postnatal healing.
- Folder with essential information and water wipe instructions.
- 10% discount to attend one of my infant massage group classes.
- $150 per couple in a group workshop
- $250 per couple privately